In recent years we have seen growth in the number of gastric sleeves being done, set off by a decline in the number of gastric bands and gastric bypasses.
The sleeve is a great procedure and good choice for many patients, especially those with a BMI above 45 and who want a low maintenance procedure that will suppress their appetite.
However, the band remains a great choice for people who want a lower risk option that will help them lose weight, rather than do it for them.
The gastric band is the safest surgery option and in the best centres, like our own (Did you know we publish our band data?), patients can expect to lose 50%-60% of their excess weight on average.
If you are in one of the following groups, then the band is probably the best options for you:
- your body mass index is below 40
- you have been able to lose weight for periods of time on a diet, but not sustain it
- your weight is not yet causing weight-related health problems, such as type 2 diabetes.
- you want the safest surgery option and one where your stomach is not cut
- you want a reversible procedure
To discuss your options and whether band, sleeve or bypass is best for you, call our team on 0800 313 4618 or use the enquiry form below.
We look forward to speaking with you.