Our clinical governance team is working with leading weight loss specialists across the world to develop a weight loss surgery process that will enable us to resume treatment of patients safely.
One of the reasons people are seeking weight loss surgery is because they want to reduce their weight and enjoy the health benefits that come with that. Obesity is associated with an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and whole list of other diseases. We can now add COVID-19 to the list. The rate of hospitalisation and mortality among obese patients is much higher than for those of a healthy weight.
We also know that when a person undergoes surgery, of whatever kind, that their immune system is suppressed for a period of time while their body heals from the surgery they have undergone. During this period of recovery, its especially important that those patients at increased risk from coronavirus are shielded from it.
So, the balance we are striking when resuming gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery is that we need to deliver the surgery that will improve your health, but not put you at risk in the process.
Our approach to ensure your safety
As always, within our protocol your safety is central to our thinking and practice. The following approach will ensure you can proceed with confidence:
- All patients will undergo two pre-operative Coronavirus tests – one 7 days before surgery and one on the day before
- We will screen all surgery patients for their Covid exposure
- We will carefully explain the risks associated with Covid infection in relation to the surgery you are undergoing
- Patients will be asked to self-quarantine for 7 days prior to surgery
- Surgery will be undertaken by a theatre team wearing PPE
- Patients will be asked to quarantine for 7 days after their surgery – we always encourage patients to allow a 7-14-day post-operative recovery period anyway
By taking these measures we can continue to deliver private weight loss surgery to those people who need it, and in a safe environment.
If you have any questions about weight loss surgery, please call us on 0800 313 4618 or request a callback.