Embrace a Healthy Routine: Bariatric Wellness After Summer
As summer ends, and the days of autumn peak closer, it’s the perfect time to refocus on your health and well-being. We understand that summer holidays may have led to some breaks from your routine, but don’t worry; it’s all part of the journey. In this blog, we’ll guide you on how to get back on track and establish healthy habits post-summer.
1. Reflect on Your Summer Experience
Before diving into your new routine, take a moment to reflect on the past few months. What did you do during the summertime? These experiences might have presented some dietary and lifestyle challenges that you might not want to change. Instead, find out the more positive and negative habits and keep them in mind when creating your routine.
2. Reconnect with Your Bariatric Team
Our bariatric team can be a huge part of your support system. Schedule a follow-up appointment or check-in with your healthcare provider, nutritionist, if you feel the need. During this time, we can discuss your summer experiences and help you set new habits which align with your goals. This can provide valuable insights and help you tailor your post-summer routine to your specific needs.
3. Re-evaluate Your Dietary Choices
Summer often includes foods and drinks. Now is the time to re-evaluate your dietary choices and refocus on nutrition. Here are some tips:
- Hydration: Rehydrate your body by drinking plenty of water. Staying hydrated is crucial for overall health and can help control hunger.
- Portion Control: Pay attention to portion sizes. Use smaller or portion control plates to help control your portions and prevent overeating.
- Balanced Meals: Prioritize lean proteins, vegetables, and whole grains in your meals. Limit sugary and high-calorie snacks.
- Meal Planning: Plan your meals in advance to ensure you have healthy options readily available. This reduces the temptation to make unhealthy choices.
4. Resume Regular Exercise
If your summer activities have disturbed your exercise routine, it’s time to get back into the swing of things. Start slowly and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts. Consider activities you enjoy, such as walking, swimming, or even dancing if you want to keep it social. Remember that consistency is key to long-term success, so find something you enjoy!
5. Prioritise Sleep and Stress Management
Getting enough sleep alongside stress management is often overlooked. However, it is critical for your bariatric journey. Poor sleep and high stress levels can negatively impact your weight and overall health. Therefore, establish a bedtime routine and practice stress-reduction techniques such as meditation or deep breathing exercises.
6. Set Realistic Goals
Setting achievable, short-term goals can keep you motivated. Break your larger health goals into smaller, manageable steps. Celebrate your successes along the way, whether it’s losing a few pounds, completing a challenging workout, or sticking to your meal plan for a week. We love the trend of transformations Tuesday or face to face Fridays, which can be found on our social media @healthierweightuk.
7. Build a Support System
Share your post-summer wellness journey with friends and family who can provide encouragement and hold you accountable. Consider joining a bariatric support group or connecting with fellow patients who understand the unique challenges you face, such as our closed Facebook group.