Although everyone we see in clinic tells us that they have been thinking about weight loss surgery for a long time, there is usually one incident or moment that prompted them to take action.
The reasons are remarkably common. Here are is a selection of them we hear:
- I took out my old summer clothes and they were even tighter than they were last year.
- I can’t face another very low calorie diet.
- I took a flight and needed an extended safety belt.
- I couldn’t go on the rides with the kids on our summer holiday.
- I caught glimpse of myself in the mirror and didn’t think it was me.
- Somebody I hadn’t seen for a while saw me for the first time in a while and made a comment
Of course, the list could go on but I would say these reasons cover about 80%.
What’s surprising is how few people say they were prompted to have surgery due to a health issue. We know that Type 2 diabetes, cancer and heart disease are all closely associated with obesity but its seldom sufficient motivation to do something about it.
We know that when your BMI is above 30 you are reducing your life expectancy and as your BMI increases so your life expectancy diminishes.
Whatever your motivation, whether its keeping up with the kids/grand kids or just feeling like you are taking back control of your life, weight loss surgery really is a life saver. If you think it might help you improve your health and quality of life reach out to us today. The free advice and consultation we provide will give the information you need to make the decision that’s right for you.
If you prefer to read up on it first, you can download our beginner’s guide to weight loss here.