Reading Time: 2 minutes The transition from outdoor to indoor workouts due to cold weather might seem discouraging, especially for those who’ve embraced the fresh air and more open
Surgeon Spotlight On Mr Kamal Mahawar
Bariatric Expert Mr Kamal Mahawar
Mr Kamal Mahawar has been working in Upper GI surgery for over 20 years, specialising in weight loss surgery to help people living with the disease obesity.
Mr Mahawar's History
Weight loss surgeon Mr Kamal Mahawar has a wealth of experience in surgery. His career started in India, attending Kolkata Medical College where he obtained his medical degree in 1996 where he achieved multiple honours and medals.
He went on to obtain his Master of Surgery in General Surgery from the Prestigious PGIMER in Chandigarh in 2000 before moving to the UK.
In the UK he graduated from Liverpool University with a MSc distinction and went on to do his surgical training in the Northern Deanery. Then obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCSEd) in 2010 and served as an honorary clinical tutor at the University of Edinburgh from 2014 to 2016.
Now he resides in Sunderland with his family and leads the Tier 3 services at Sunderland Royal Hospital, which has consistently been one of the highest volume bariatric surgery centres in the UK for over a decade now.
Performing Weight Loss Surgery at Burcot Hall
Now offering his expertise to patients privately Mr Mahawar works with Healthier Weight preforming weight loss surgery in Birmingham at Burcot Hall.
Answering You Questions - "Is Weight Loss Surgery Safe"
We asked what you wanted to hear a surgeon answer and over whelming one question kept cropping up
“Is Weight Loss Surgery Safe”?
Well who better to answer that than one of the best weight loss surgeons.
His More Than Just Weight Loss Surgery Moment
Everybody at Healthier Weight celebrates weight loss surgery being more than just a way of losing weight, but allows a patient to do so much more with their life.
We asked Mr Kamal Mahawar if there was a stand out story from one of his surgeries. But, after performing hundreds of life changing producers Kamal admitted that not a week would go by without hearing of a success story.
This is what he had to say on the topic…
- Graduated Kolkata Medical College in 1996 with multiple honours and medals
- Ranked first in the college in the final MBBS examination of the University and received the BC Roy award from Mr. I K Gujral, then Prime Minister of India.
- Obtained MS (Master of Surgery) in General Surgery from the Prestigious PGIMER in Chandigarh in 2000.
- Obtained MSc from Liverpool University with distinction
- Studied further surgical training in the Northern Deanery with a special focus on bariatric surgery, ultimately obtaining the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCSEd) in 2010
- One of the highest volume bariatric surgeons in the United Kingdom with his volumes consistently above the 90th percentile
- Leads the Tier 3 services at Sunderland Royal Hospital, which has consistently been one of the highest volume bariatric surgery centres in the UK for over a decade now.
- Co-editor of “Journal of Bariatric Surgery” and an Associate Editor of “Obesity Surgery”, “Annals of Royal College of Surgeons England”, and “Clinical Obesity” and is on the editorial board of Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases (SOARD) and other journals.
- Founder and Chief Coordinator of the global society for Upper GI Surgery.
- Member of the council of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI) and is its Associate Director for conferences.
- On the Council of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) and chairs its Patient Safety Committee.
- The Northern England representative on the council of the British Benign Upper Gastrointestinal Surgical Society.
Last review: 16/03/2022. All content on this page is reviewed by a multi-disciplinary team lead by Mr Rishi Singhal.
If you are interested in a gastric procedure such as the gastric band, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass or ESG. You can contact our expert team today and book a free consult with one of our weight loss surgeons.
Share This Post
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get updates and learn from the best
More To Explore
Reading Time: 2 minutes November is a time when your life shifts to cosy moments, savouring hot drinks with your favourite films on. For obese patients who have undergone
Again, surgery goes beyond just the surgeon being the best choice, their aftercare should be just as good. To give you the best chance at success after weight loss surgery you need to make sure that the aftercare provided is up to scratch.
Depending on your surgery, your aftercare should include
- Long-term follow up calls
- Blood tests
- Surgeon follow up
- Dietitian appointments
- Bariatric nurse follow up
At Healthier Weight we our proud to have 3 of the best aftercare packages to support patients on their weight loss journey.
As well as this, we have our own bariatric app, tailored to help patients after weight loss surgery with on-demand fitness classes, recipes, mental health guidance and 24/7 messaging.