Gastric Bypass Aftercare
The importance of bypass aftercare
The importance of aftercare and support is often underestimated with the gastric bypass. Often people think the procedure is so powerful that they lose weight without too much effort, especially in the early months. However, over time the power of bypass will subside, and it will be the diet, eating and exercise changes that you have made in the years after your surgery that will help you maintain your weight loss.
Our team is here to see you in clinic and to provide the support you need for enduring success.
With this in mind, we have developed an aftercare and support package that we consider to be the most comprehensive of its type in the UK.
Our standard fixed price package includes all these features:
- Free clinic reviews for 2 years to provide the support you need to get the best from your bypass
- 1 formal annual clinic review with or bariatric nurse to assess progress and make a plan for year 2.
- Complication cover – 6 months complications cover
- Blood tests by HW – Blood tests conducted by HW at 6 months post op
- Surgeon Reviews – 1 surgeon review when clinically indicated
- Extended nurse review – 30-40 minute consultation with a nurse at 12 months post op
- Long term follow up calls – Calls at 3 days, 3 weeks, 7 weeks, 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m, 18m and 24m. Any clinic reviews where necessary
- Free Lifelong access to Healthier Weight clinics for support (when clinically indicated)
- Emergency helpline
- Specialist support as needed from our multi-disciplinary team which includes surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses, psychologists and dietitians.
You will also have the option to upgrade this package (a small additional fee) to include:
- Additional annual nurse review
- Extended complications cover to 24 months
- Additional post-operative bloods in year 1
Compare the standard and upgrade packages for bypass below.
Extended stay. Investigations. Treatment of Leak, bleed, stricture - where safe to do so outside of NHS Unit
|6 months||24 months|
|Blood tests by HW|
Conducted by HW not GP. Carried out at operating hospital and analysed by Bariatric expects
|6 months||6 and 12-18 months|
One to one review with a surgeon, only where clinically indicated.
|1 where required||1 where required|
|Extended review with nurse|
30-40 minute consultation with a focus on well being, weight loss and maintenance.
|12 months||12, 24 months|
|Long term follow up calls|
Scheduled calls at 3 days, 3 weeks, 7 weeks, 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m, 18m, 24m as standard. Any clinic reviews where necessary.
|24 months||24 months|
|Access to Healthier Weight |
Scheduled contact stops at 2 years but access to team via phone or clinic for lifetime
|Pre and post op food included |
Soups, shakes and meals to guide you through the pre and post op nutrition requirements.