You are eligible for gastric sleeve if you meet the following criteria:
- You have a body mass index of 35 or higher.
- You have tried and exhausted diet and weight loss programmes as a way to manage your weight.
- Your weight is having a day to day impact on your quality of life.
- We will consider a lower BMI for patients who are diabetic and/or of Asian/African ethnicity.
These criteria are at slight variance to NICE guidance, which is used in the NHS in England. In the NHS you need a higher BMI to be eligible. This is because the benefit of surgery needs to be balanced with the cost to the public purse. In private surgery, we don’t have this cost constraint and can make decisions based purely on the expected patient outcome. Countless studies show gastric sleeve to be a safe and effective procedure for patients with a BMI above 35. Indeed, in many countries, it is offered from a BMI of 30.
We take your preparation for surgery extremely seriously and there are a number of actions we take to ensure your safety and long-term weight loss success. These include the following:
- Meticulous eligibility screening with tour surgeon at consultation.
- Multi-disciplinary screening prior to your surgery.
- Psychological screening to maximise your chances of a successful weight loss outcome.
- Pre-operative assessment at the hospital, to take bloods, etc.
- Pre-operative call from the Healthier Weight clinical team to ensure you have all the information you need to proceed.
The minimum pre-operative diet period relative to your needs (this period is usually 1 week but can be longer at your surgeon's request)