Timeline and qualifications
- Graduated from University of Padua, Italy
- Qualified as a general surgeon and thoracic surgeon. Performed laparoscopic surgery as early as 1991 and obesity (bariatric) surgery as early as 1983
- Worked with Dr Kuzmak to turn his concept of an adjustable gastric band into reality, culminating in the first implantation of the first LAP-BAND by Belachew in 1993
- Performed the second ever gastric band implantation just one week later
- Developed the surgical technique for the laparoscopic gastric band used by most surgeons worldwide today
- Pioneered new procedures such as SILS. In 2009 for Healthier Weight, he was the first to implant a gastric band by single incision rather than the standard 4 or 5 incisions. Implanting the band through the belly button means our patients benefit from a gastric band procedure which leaves no visible scars
- Performed international workshops where over 120 surgeons worldwide were given “hands-on” training on the laparotomic and laparoscopic application of LAP-BAND
- Published more than 150 medical articles in world journals including the British Journal of Surgery, Surgical Endoscopy, Obesity Surgery, Journal de Coelio-Chirurgie, Surgical Laparoscopy & Endoscopy, International Surgery, Hepato-Gastroenterology
Memberships and current positions
- GMC Number: 6143563
- Head of Surgery at Vicenza Regional Hospital, Italy
- Teaches at the European University of Laparoscopic Surgery, France and the School of Laparoscopic Surgery, Italy
- Regularly delivers lectures and masterclasses and performs live procedures in front of audiences worldwide
- Member of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery
What Franco’s patients have to say
“Very nice and helpful staff who made my experience of having my gastric band easy. I was treated very well and the hospital was very nice, my surgeon, Professor Favretti , was very informative and caring , all in all a very good experience, I would certainly recommend Healthier Weight.”
We are privileged to have Professor Franco Favretti on our team. He works exclusively for Healthier Weight in the UK (operating from London) and here’s why we think you should book a FREE consultation to discuss your weight loss options with him, particularly if you’re interested in the gastric band.
Prof Favretti, as well as helping to make the gastric band a reality with Dr Kuzmak in 1993, performed the second gastric band operation in the world. Since then he has become widely regarded as the father of gastric banding by pioneering the surgical techniques used to implant them, techniques that are now used as standard by surgeons around the world.
It is Franco Favretti we have to thank for the many developments in laparoscopic gastric band surgery that now make it one of the safest and most effective weight loss procedures available. One of the major developments in recent times is the new technique we refer to as SILS; the implantation of the gastric band through 1 incision (usually the belly button). This not only leaves a better cosmetic outcome but actually aids patient recovery.
Book a consultation with Professor Favretti