Halloween has arrived! A season full of tasty treats; sticky toffee apples, spiced pumpkin pie, fancy dress parties and watching your favourite scary film in your home comforts. Having weight loss surgery doesn’t stop you from joining in the festive season; if anything, it gives you a chance to be involved even more. No more worrying about finding a costume that fits or feeling out of breath, meaning you can’t participate in the pumpkin picking.
This Halloween will be different. We are here to help adapt and fulfil your healthier lifestyle with our very own treats from the Healthier Weight App. So if you are having a fancy dress party or staying at home and suppling the treacle treaters, there are many delicious treats you can have this Halloween.
Our dietitian Heather knows best
Heather’s advice is to have a few apple slices of apple dipped dark chocolate instead of the traditional toffee apple. Or small bits of dark chocolate with a tiny handful of dried fruit
You should avoid anything high in sugar to reduce the risk of dumping syndrome, which rules out all the typical Haloween treats. But, don’t worry, we are providing you with an exclusive insight into our very own recipes. So get creative this Halloween and try healthier sweet treats.
Apples Slices and Dark chocolate
- 5 sweet apples (such as Gala or Fuji),
- peeled, cored and chopped¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g raisins
- 150g fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1. Put the apples, cinnamon, raisins, and 2 tbsp water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the apples are very soft.
- 2. Serve with a dollop of the yogurt.
Tofu Chocolate Mousse
- 300g silken tofu, drained
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1/2 teaspoon ground star anise
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1. Add the tofu, star anise, vanilla seeds, treacle and agave to a large bowl. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- 2. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Fold melted chocolate into the tofu.
- 3. Spoon into glasses and refrigerate until set.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 100g plain dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 2 medium avocadoes, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 1. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- 2. Add avocado to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. With the motor running, add the chocolate in a slow steady stream. Blend until thick and creamy.
- 3. Chill in the fridge before serving.